Saturday, August 16, 2008

Instant Adoption Weight Loss Plan

So, the girls at work are always talking about their present diet/workout plans. I usually don't participate, mostly because I am not usually on a diet. But, the stress of the last few months has resulted in a little something extra in the tummy area. So the last diet/exercise chat session, I tuned in.

Incidentally, I was also caring for a lady with giardia that day. Turns out that beavers are a carrier of giardia, and people in our area who use use natural spring water or well water are susceptible to giardia because we have a lot of beavers (who knew?) This lady was elderly and had lost some weight due to her illness.

That is when I conceived my Instant Adoption Weight Loss Plan. It is best explained in the little jingle I made up:

Goin' to Ethiopia
Gonna catch me some Giardia
Gonna lose me 30 poundsia
And put on those skinny jeans!


Basically, I think I had a return of Wait List Induced Delirium, except, you know, travel date wait induced delirium.

*Note* I have no plans of actually attempting to contract giardia, nor do I recommend that (from a personal or professional standpoint) as a weight loss plan. Unless you really love to poop.

** Note 2** Does anyone know if cats can get/carry giardia? Because Lily is a very curious cat...

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I did spend extended time on the porcelain throne in Ethiopia (think I accidentally brushed my teeth with the water one time) and lost 7 pounds in 10 days. :)

Yes, cats can get giardia. One of mine was diagnosed with it (and treated). I read everything I could on the internet about it and Vets still don't know conclusively if cats can pass it to humans. Apparently no clear cases of cat to human giardia transmission.

Ringworm, on the other hand is a different story.. if your daughter has ringworm or scalp ringworm, you need to use a preventative treatment on the cat. Cause when cats get ringworm... they produce airborne ringworm spores... then everyone has it! PM me if you need more info on treatment.

Mrs. Engelhardt said...

I LOVED this post! When we returned from ETH, people had noticed that I lost a little weight. I haven't been doing anything differently, and I must admit that I thought, (just for a minute) "Hmm...maybe I have a touch of giardia...but I'll wait a few more weeks/pounds to find out!"

Anonymous said...

delurking to say that i'm a vet nurse and yes, cats (and dogs and most other animals) can carry giardia. however, transmission to humans (zoonosis) is something we're not sure about. when we have an animal that comes in with suspected or confirmed giardia we treat it as though it is infectious to humans and other animals, just to be on the safe side.

Susan and Chad said...

30 Poundsia! Hilarious!

Thanks for the laughs!

m&r said...

:)

I suppose giardia isn't the best weight loss plan, but if you come up with another, let me know. I too have been snacking my way through all the stress!

Aimee said...

Having brought back Giardia as a souvenier from ET, myself, I can say that I would rather be a little chunky. :)

Blog Shmog said...

you're a funny girl!

hazel said...

hmmm...I'm not sure if the benefit of weight loss will outdo the excessive throne time, but I will try to consider it as a bonus. And also as only fair since I've gained a # of pounds while waiting for my referral.

Here's wishing you lose the pounds you've found in a more healthy fashion.

J, A, T and Y said...

Funny!

Kristy -Mom To 9 Blessings said...

Oh, I can sooooo relate! I had to go shopping for bigger jeans at thrift stores to have the bending and stretching room that I'll need for Hiwot. I'm hoping that I will be able to leave them in country and donate them before we head home. :-)
Blessings,
Kristy

Teresa said...

You are such a nut!

Jennifer said...

i plan to pick me up some giardia as well...i also considered ordering a tapeworm off of the internet. i guess maybe we should just exercise and not eat so much chocolate? i must also say that the untimely death of our sweet dog caused me to not eat much in the last 48 hours...however, i don't recommend grief either.

Sam said...

somedays i pray for a tapeworm...
does that make you feel better