Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Week 6

6 Weeks (1 month, 1 week, 4 days) of waiting for a referral... where does the time go? When I was working on my dossier, I felt like the time between when I would send a document by FedEx to be authenticated and the time when it would arrive at it's destination took weeks when it actually only took a few days. Now I feel like the weeks are flying by- 7 days feels like 3, and I am starting to get worried that I just won't get everything done.

In actuality, I've made a lot of progress on the adoption to-do list, but the problem is that I keep thinking of more things to do! But, I think that is typical momma behavior- as they say, a woman's work is never done.

Week 6 highlights:
*Got our typhoid shots yesterday. Abigail was the hero! She didn't cry, and was super-helpful by cleaning my arm with alcohol for the nurse, and then putting the bandaid on when the nurse was done. Great job, Abigail! (My arm is sore, but I don't feel like I've been hit by a truck like I did with my last batch of shots. Apparently it's the Hep A shot that can give you the flu-like side effects.)

*Completed and sent off all the paperwork for the Oxford Adoption Foundation loan that I have been awarded. Now all I have to do is sit back and wait for the adoption to be finalized in Ethiopia, and the loan will be funded, with disbursement directly to Gladney. So, my Gladney costs left to pay before travel have just significantly decreased! Yea!

*Was blessed to receive a random package from Abigail's teacher, Ms. Barbara. She has been following along with our adoption journey, and has invited me to teach Abigail's class about Ethiopia, which will "kick off" the donation drive at Abigail's school/day care. Anyway, last week she pulled me aside as I was picking up Abigail and handed me a shopping bag. She said she had been at some stores, saw some great deals, and picked up a few things to give to the orphans. The bag contained clothes, art supplies, and toys. Thanks Ms. Barbara!

*Started the F.B.I. It's been really great to learn about other Gladney families, as well as having the opportunity to see a more realistic picture of referral to court, and court to embassy times. If you know of other Gladney families that are not on the list, please let me know! I am hoping that once I move past the time where this info would be helpful to me, that someone who is further behind in the process might take over the maintenance of the list, and hopefully it can be kept going to be a reference for Gladney families. All you need is a Google account!

*I've had lots of fun seeing the responses to the polls I have posted. If you haven't voted yet, please do so, and please feel free to leave a comment with your rationale! Do you all know something about summer vacations that I don't know? I'm wondering if the Gladney caseworkers all take a summer vacation and that's why no one has chosen June 1-15 as the time frame to receive my referral?

Well, that's about it on the home front. We're off to take Abigail to school, and then I have to call the township and find out why I haven't gotten any info about enrolling Abigail in first grade. All the other parents have gotten info packets and are doing stuff... Hmm. A mystery.

No comments: