Wednesday, February 6, 2008

When There's No Place Like Home

Brianna recently wrote a series of 2 posts in reaction to this Newsweek article. The article discusses the role that UNICEF is taking in discouraging intercountry adoptions by taking the viewpoint that it is best for kids to stay within their own country and culture when being adopted.

Of course, as I learn more and more about adoption, I cannot help but agree that kids should, when possible, remain within their own country/culture. Brianna does a good job articulating a "good, better, best" senario ("best" being that kids are able to remain with their own parents or within their own family.)

However, it is simply unrealistic to think that the 6 million orphans in Ethiopia would ever be able to be adopted within their own country. There are just too many kids, and not enough resources. Again, I would refer you to Brianna's post- she does a great job explaining why intercountry adoption is still a good option, even though it's not the "better" or "best" option.

This is something that I see presented as a concern of most adoptive parents, and it is closely tied to ethical adoptions. I encourage you to read the article, read Brianna's reaction, and tell me what YOUR thoughts are. I am still sorting mine out. Like most adoption topics, heck, most parenting topics, I don't know if there is black and white on this issue. I see a lot of gray.

2 comments:

Aimee said...

I put a post about this on my blog. I want hog your comment box to re type it, but feel free to hop over and check it out.
Aimee
www.offwego-brynly.blogspot.com

Stacie said...

Very interesting - especially as I'm re-reading There is No Me Without You... There is definitely a crisis in Ethiopia in terms of parents dying or being unable to care for their children due to poverty. I read that book and hear the children's stories and can't help but think that, right now, families are what they need. Obviously it would be best if the funds were appropriated to provide AIDS drugs (and those for other illnesses) and to provide social welfare programs, but I don't think discouraging adoption is the way to go. Good points though - definitely has me thinking! (I did just hog the comment box! :)