Monday, February 11, 2008

Homesick

Abigail was feeling yucky and tired yesterday. By bedtime, she was pooped and had a little fever. Not surprisingly, she woke up this morning with a fever and generalized malaise. We talked about it and agreed that she couldn't go to school.

"Are you going to call them and tell them that I am homesick?" she asked.

"Well, I will tell them that you are staying home because you are sick."

"Right, that means homesick, right?"

I explained that staying home sick and being homesick were not the same thing. Staying home sick means you can't go to school or work because you are sick. Homesick is when you really want to be with your family and in your home, but you can't because you are far away.

"Oh, so, I am staying home sick. But my sister is homesick."

2 comments:

Tiffany said...

Oh that is too precious! What empathy at such a young age! That's when you know you're parenting well-when your kids walk away with empathy and compassion for their world. Blessings,
www.namastechild.blogspot.com

Eryka said...

I love that child. Really. I mean, she just gets it! And she does it in the cutest way possible.