Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Week 11


Oh my word, where has the past week gone? I can't believe I am in week 11 of waiting! Seriously, it seems like I was typing the Week 10 post just yesterday, and here it is week 11 already! I hope that once I receive my referral, the wait for court seems to fly by just as quickly as this wait has been going.

This week has really been focused on trying to get caught up in school. When I say that I am having a difficult time concentrating, I mean it! I think I get this way at about the same point each semester, but it just so happens that this semester I have a really good reason to be distracted!

This week's highlights are not very numerous, but important nonetheless.

~Received a wonderful note from my caseworker. Jessica is new to Gladney's Ethiopia team, and I have to admit that when I found out that my case was being moved to her, I was apprehensive. However, she has been professional, kind, responsive, and caring throughout this process, and she fits right in with all the other wonderful people at Gladney. I email her the silliest, most random questions (which is why I am your go-to girl for that silly information) and she never gets cross or irritated with me. God knew what He was doing when He put us together, because it takes a special person to put up with my incessant questions. (Natural curiosity+ anxiousness for my child= excessive random questions.) God bless her. I think we should start a National Adoption Caseworker Appreciation Day! Or at least a Blog-o-sphere Wide Adoption Caseworker Appreciation Day! What do you think? Anyone what to help organize that? (I am being serious, and someone needs to come up with a better name!)

~ Spent some time further educating myself about the legal and ethical implications of international adoption. The further along in my adoption journey I get, the more I feel the need to support and promote not just following the letter of the law in the process by ensuring the legality of the adoption process, but also following the intent of the law by promoting the most ethical practices in this journey. This was a matter of much discussion on one of the Yahoo Ethiopian adoption groups to which I belong. I am so glad I chose Gladney as my agency because I feel that they are truly not only legal in their adoption procedures, but ethical as well. If you are considering international adoption, please take the time to educate yourself about the legal and ethical practices before choosing an agency, and make sure that the agency you chose upholds the highest standards of ethics. If you have questions about how to choose an ethical agency, feel free to email me! I am not an expert, but I am happy to point you in the direction of some great resources!

~ This week's biggest adoption milestone? The bunk beds were delivered this morning!!!!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just found your blog, while cruising the Ethiopian blog circuit. We used the same home study agency (Adoptions Forever) which means we should be pretty close to one another. I've been looking for other Ethiopian adoptive families close by. We are a Christian, homeschooling family of 5, adopting through CWA from Ethiopia, currently waiting for our referral. Please e-mail if you would like. ksseitz@excite.com Will be praying for you! Kim

Jennifer said...

Week 11! Just picture me fist bumping!

Amy said...

Gladney is an amazing agency.

Week 11...won't be long now!!! Bunk beds are fun!

Rebecca said...

11 weeks! Congrats! Your referral will be here before you know it!

I'm all about Gladney. And about the appreciation of our case workers!

Leslie said...

Keep hanging in there-- your patience is worth it!!

Blessed Mommy said...

yay for 11 wks and can't wait to see the new bunks :D

coffeemom said...

You are closer and closer, I think it's gonna be sooner rather than later! Hang in there!

Waiting is hard no matter what or when or where and I'm w/ ya on the silly excessive questions...I"m always bursting with them. Jessica is terrific and sweet, she was the caller for our referral since Natalie was in Addis. Great post and great reminder, I too am SO glad we're w/ Gladney, whew!

Besides, what will all us stalkers do when you stop the FBI list and the great organized posts??? You do great work!!

Farmboy and Buttercup said...

Yes, a national adoption case worker appreciation day sounds perfect.

I must say, Natalie must have been hired partly just for her sweetest ever voice. How can one stay frazzled with that sweet, calming, encouraging voice on the other end of the line. Jessica, too?

Cograts on 11 weeks.