Monday, November 26, 2007

Post-Adoption

Last week, someone at work said I should be on Oprah. She meant that I was so passionate about adoption, Ethiopia, and helping and loving children that I should be on the show to inspire people. She said she admired me. She said she thought I was fearless.

But I do have fears about this process. The adoption process is not just the paper chase and the wait for the referral and traveling to Ethiopia. The adoption process is all of this, but it is so much more. It is the process that makes a child you have never met your child. That makes you, a stranger, into this child's mother. It is the process of becoming a family and creating a history together, while still respecting the individual history of the time before.

And this is one of my fears.

No comments: